1. Purpose and Aims
2. The Principal Investigator (PI) and all members of the Research Team aim to:
3. To achieve these aims, the PI and all members of the Research Team will:
4. Where a member of the research team feels that a participant or someone else is at risk of being hurt, she/he will take the following steps:
Discuss the safeguarding concern with one of the project’s Designated Safeguarding Contacts in person or by telephone.
Agree with Designated Safeguarding Contact whether/how to let participant know there is a safeguarding concern and establish if participant wishes to be involved in communicating this.
Where the participant is recruited via their school, disclosure will be made to the Designated Safeguarding Contact of that school. Where the participant is recruited outside of school, disclosure will be made to the social care team at the participant’s local council. Where this is impractical for any reason, the disclosure will be made to the NSPCC online or via telephone.
Where a disclosure is made, the issue will be followed up in accordance with the school/organisation’s own safeguarding procedures.
The school/organisation will be asked to provide a report to the research team of measures taken in response to any such disclosures, and the research team will monitor for a response/outcome.
5. To facilitate the reporting of incidents or concerns about potential exploitation, abuse or harm arising from the research by any person, the PI will:
Provide participants and their parent/carer with the name and contact details of the project’s Designated Safeguarding Contact who will be responsible for receiving details of reported incidents or concerns.
Provide participants and their parent/carer with the name and contact details of an external Designated Safeguarding Contact who is independent of the research team, who will receive details of reported concerns or incidents where preferable to the person raising the concern.
Make publicly available the names and contact details of both the primary and external Designated Safeguarding Contacts for the project.
The primary Designated Safeguarding Contact is the PI, Professor Dawn Watkins. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel. 0114 222 6827.
The external Designated Safeguarding Contact is Penny Russell, Chair of the Ethics Committee in the Law School, University of Sheffield. Email P.Russell@sheffield.ac.uk. Tel. 0114 222 6873.
6. Where either the project’s Designated Safeguarding Contact (or the external Designated Safeguarding Contact) receives a report of an incident or concerns about potential exploitation, abuse or harm arising from the research by any person:
They will follow the steps outlined in the Reporting Process Flowchart, available via this link: